So, the word brussel sprouts just sounds gross, right? If you have always hated them or just never tried them because they are called such a gross sounding name then you will adore these adorable candy coated balls of goodness! I had them at a restaurant recently and they tasted nothing like I have ever tasted them before, I FELL absolutely in love with these so called brussel sprouts!
When I went to the grocery store that week I knew I had to recreate them and make this thing Paleo as much as possible. So here is what I came up with!
- 1 bag of organic brussel sprouts
- 2 tbsps of your fat of choice (I used bacon fat).
- ½ white onion
- ¼ cup of Dark Maple Syrup
- 2 strips of bacon, chopped
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat skillet or stir fry pan to medium to hight heat with your fat of choice.
- Once oil is hot throw in brussels, onion, and bacon. Cover until brussels start to soften. About 10 min.
- Once the brussels start to soften and chopped bacon is cooked, throw in your maple syrup! Everything will start to caramelize and smell like candy.
- Once your brussel babes are tender, remove and place in a pretty bowl! Viola! I served with crock pot baby back ribs. SOOOOO DANG GOOD.